Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Took him to the vet he has a nerve injury, they put him on…

Customer Question
Took him to the...

Took him to the vet he has a nerve injury, they put him on tramadol ,he still is having trouble standing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

They did xray nothing is broken, he jumped off the couch wrong

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Neck area

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

He keeps his head turned

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Cody 7-8 yrs he is a rescue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cody?

No they ran blood tests all came back normal, xrays showed nothing broken or fractured. everything looks good except for he cries out in pain when moved,cant stand and his front paw is bend under

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Cody is having trouble standing on his paw normally due to a probable nerve injury after jumping off the couch.

When he jumped did he land splay legged?

If you pinch his toes on that foot can he feel it?

I understand that he is taking Tramadol for pain, but is he taking an anti-inflammatory as well?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is with a volunteer, I have she said he did this while she was at work, so she is not sure how he landed. He is only on tramadol. When he is touched by the neck area he cries out. foot can not feel when you touch it.

This does sound like a nerve injury.

But with only the front paw affected there are a few different things that may be behind his loss of function.

1) Intervertebral disc disease. Intervertebral discs are the spongy cushions between the individual vertebrae in their back and neck. These spongy discs can move or rupture and place pressure upon the spinal cord which can lead to pain, and in severe cases paralysis. Disc pain can be intermittent, and if they move just the wrong way nerves get pinched and the pain can be excruciating and sudden.
Radiographs can sometimes be diagnostic but often early on in the disease process, because the discs are soft tissue not bone, everything will look normal. An MRI is the best way of diagnosing disc disease.
If the dog is painful but has no evidence of paralysis we can try strict rest, anti-inflammatories and pain medications for several weeks to allow healing.
If there is evidence or weakness or paralysis then surgery by a board certified veterinary neurologist, as soon as possible, is indicated. In your pup's case given his seeming inability to feel or use his leg properly I recommend a referral to a neurologist for further assessment and testing.

2) Brachial plexus stretch/avulsion. The most common cause of brachial plexus avulsion is being hit by a car, but any type of trauma that results in significant splaying force on the forelimb, resulting in overstretching of the armpit/shoulder area, such as a fall from the couch onto a slippery floor, may result in brachial plexus avulsion. The avulsion causes severe weakness or paralysis of the affected forelimb. These dogs are rarely painful past the initial incident however so this seems less likely. This is generally diagnosed with a known history of trauma and showing signs of loss of feeling on the skin of certain parts of the front leg.

3) A blood clot or tumor causing pressure on the nerve roots to that leg. This would be painful and would cause loss of function. Diagnosis is via an MRI, because this is soft tissue and radiographs would not be diagnostic.

Any time we have any sort of nerve damage/possible inflammation/pressure on nerve roots we need medication to control pain (Tramadol and possibly Gabapentin too) and an anti-inflammatory to relieve pressure/inflammation and possibly a muscle relaxant if he has painful nerve spasms.

It sounds like pain medication was prescribed, but he needs an anti-inflammatory too. Given his loss of feeling he may well need surgery to get proper function back. I would get him to a neurologist as soon as possible.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 30 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian