Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just overnight he has become lethargic. He whimpers when he…

Just overnight he has...

Just overnight he has become lethargic. He whimpers when he wants off the couch and cries out when picked up. He was very playful last night but this morning he acts like his front legs hurt. He’s a 20 month old Chihuahua. He looks very sad and depressed and looks at us like we are going to hurt him. Very out of character since he is a very friendly, loveable dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Harley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

He needs knee surgery but before we do that I am having hip replacement surgery in 2 weeks.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

How are his appetite, thirst, and bowel movements? Is he on pain medication or any other medication?

He isn’t eating because he’s teething. He was at his regular vet on Wed. No pain meds. I was going to give him 1/2 baby aspirin but haven’t yet. He has peed today but no BM.

You can give dogs aspirin but it can not be given on an empty stomach because it can irritate the stomach lining.

If your vet is open this morning, I would take him back in for a recheck.

You can give him human pepcid ac to help settle his stomach. 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet every 12 hours. If you can not get him to eat it in a treat, it is fine to crush it and give it in a syringe with water.

Then if you can get him to eat, you could give him aspirin. 5-10mg per each pound of dog every 12 hours.

He could be having leg pain, or back pain, and that is why his is not jumping. You mentioned he needs knee surgery so maybe his knees hurt. Knee pain can make the lower back a bit sore as well.

If he cries when you push on his abdomen, or pick him up under the abdomen, that can be abdominal pain or back pain.

His breed is not known to be stoic so if he is having pain somewhere in his body he may just cry when he moves or you pick him up.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions I can help you with right now?

His vet is closed this weekend. It appears that his front legs hurt. It’s his back legs that need surgery. I picked him up under his armpits and he cried out. He doesn’t cry when picked up by his chest.

Okay, as I mentioned that can be leg pain, spinal pain, abdominal pain.

Were you able to read what I wrote about the Pepcid AC and Aspirin?

That is what you can do in terms of over the counter or at home care.

The emergency clinic is open 24-7 all weekend and they could localize the source of pain for you.

I know you want a specific pain diagnosis but front leg or arm pit pain only tells me there is pain.

If he is really is distress, or stressing you, then the emergency clinic is the best option.

Other regular vets may be open on Saturday mornings as well if your vet is closed and you do not want to see the emergency vet.

Does that make sense?

I read what you wrote about Pepcid and aspirin and will buy some today. We’re going to try and get him to eat something. He just licked some Karo syrup from my husbands finger so he must be hungry. If that doesn’t work we’ll go up the street.
Thank you

If you go to the store buy some human turkey baby food. The kind in the little jar. Make sure it does not contain onions or garlic in the ingredients. Warm that up and see if he will eat it.

You are very welcome. If you have any other questions feel free to reply again at any time.

Oh, that’s a good idea! I never thought of baby food. Than you.

You are welcome. Let me know how it goes.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian