Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just ate half of a dark chocolate Awake bar which is…

Hi, my dog just...

Hi, my dog just ate half of a dark chocolate Awake bar which is a dark chocolate bar with added caffeine. One bar has a cup of coffees worth of caffeine but he only ate half. Specifically he ate .6 ounces of the bar which has 50 mg of caffeine what should I do???

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Oliver

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?

No. He is a standard poodle

3/17/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We just noticed it eaten so I'm not so sure when he ate it but probably sometime within the last hour. He weighs about 55 lbs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't want to do the phone call but I don't know if I correctly denied it

Ok, now his size works in our favor as the dark chocolate dose is low and only likely to cause GI upset if anything at all.

For the caffeine, if he gave himself 25mg of this, that is a 1mg/kg dose which is actually quite low (the fatal dose is >100x this). So, we could see again GI upset, but may see mild agitation, increased heart rate, but tremors would be less likely.

Now if its been ~an hour or less, we have a few options. We can still induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. But again this is a low dose and the signs we may see are likely to be mild. Though we can use the above to just get this back up or bind the caffeine to reduce that even more

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I think it might have been over an hour, should we just play the waiting game or still make him throw up? He seems fine but maybe a little hyper

Hi again,

If its under 2 hours, we can still induce vomiting but there will be some absorption (but again overall its a low dose). Else we can use activated charcoal up to 8 hours (of course sooner is better). And I'd lean to using one of those since we have the caffeine to consider but you can just monitor with a view to having him seen for fluids if he were to show those more severe signs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**************************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you. What signs should I be looking for that it is getting worse

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I would monitor for those I noted before and if we were to see tremors or profuse vomiting then that would be our sign to have him seen.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.
**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian