Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has 6 puppies, 10 days old, I'm wondering if it will…

She has 6 puppies...

She has 6 puppies, 10 days old, I'm wondering if it will hurt the puppies if I apply Udderly Smooth body cream to her belly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Frankie Bobbye, she is a Giant Schnauzer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

No, I weigh them daily and they are all but one over 2 pounds already. They're very strong and healthy.

3/17/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

While there is nothing dangerous in the cream, I am a little concerned if the puppies ingest too much, it may give them a soft stool or even diarrhea. Is there a problem with Frankie Bobbye's skin?

Thank you.

Her nipples appear to be dry and on the verge of cracking. Would it be better to use olive oil or cooking oil?

I like the idea of just a dab of olive oil. Try to rub it in when the puppies or sleeping so it has a chance to absorb in. I can not see any problems if the puppies get a bit of this ever day or so, but I would not apply the oil multiple times a day.

Make sure you are starting to trim the puppies nails. They are probably getting pretty sharp & contributing to any of Mom's skin issues.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda