Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has 6 puppies, 10 days old, I'm wondering if it will…

She has 6 puppies...

She has 6 puppies, 10 days old, I'm wondering if it will hurt the puppies if I apply Udderly Smooth body cream to her belly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Frankie Bobbye, she is a Giant Schnauzer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

No, I weigh them daily and they are all but one over 2 pounds already. They're very strong and healthy.

3/17/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

While there is nothing dangerous in the cream, I am a little concerned if the puppies ingest too much, it may give them a soft stool or even diarrhea. Is there a problem with Frankie Bobbye's skin?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her nipples appear to be dry and on the verge of cracking. Would it be better to use olive oil or cooking oil?

I like the idea of just a dab of olive oil. Try to rub it in when the puppies or sleeping so it has a chance to absorb in. I can not see any problems if the puppies get a bit of this ever day or so, but I would not apply the oil multiple times a day.

Make sure you are starting to trim the puppies nails. They are probably getting pretty sharp & contributing to any of Mom's skin issues.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian