Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm puppy sitting. Took Cocoa to my house, and of course,

Customer Question
Hi, I'm puppy sitting...

Hi, I'm puppy sitting. Took Cocoa to my house, and of course, got into everything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?

I'm diabetic and didn't realize he gobbled 2 of my diabetic meds. It's called Synjardy, a diuretic that puts sugar into urine along with metformin- hydrochloride tablets. This just happened about 30 min ago. I gave him 2% milk, about 1/3 cup to help up his hydration. What now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry the puppy has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the puppy's name?

I am diabetic, not the puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

He's 5 months old, a little guy Yorkie/Poodle/Schitsu mix

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does he weigh?

What are the milligrams to the tablets he got into?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe he's 2 to 5 lb. they are 5mg/500mg. I'm an adult and take 2 a day and I pee all day. It also lowers blood sugar. Should I take him to local vet or wait it out?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because of finances, I think I'll take him to a local vet. This sounds like it's going to add up.
Sorry for bothering you.

Hi again,

I would not wait this out. We either need to intervene or get him seen. The diuretic carries the risk of severe dehydration/electrolyte imbalances and the Meformin's adverse signs include GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) but we can also see low blood pressure leading to weakness, wobbliness, pale gums and hind limb tremors. So, if there is an option to get him to the local vet, we'd want to take it. Else we need to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian