Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My american staffy just ate 1 only 600mg panadol osteo do i…

Customer Question
Hello my american staffy...

Hello my american staffy just ate 1 only 600mg panadol osteo do i need to worry

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No she's healthy dog about 25 -30 kgs

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

How is she just now?

I've not heard back so I do want to send another note as this is too high a dose for your lass. She could end up with GI upset, vomiting, diarrhea, but also there is risk of liver damage, stomach ulcers, and this drug can bind red blood cells causing oxygenation issues. So, we do need to be proactive here.

With this in mind, if she just had this, we can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

But again this is too high a dose and it carries some real risk. So, use the above now but any struggles and we'd want her seen urgently for supportive care but also this is on drug there is actually a prescription antidote your vet can use.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only about 5 minutes ago and seems ok now she is a fair size roughly 25 -30kg

Hi again,

I did see her weight but even then its a 24mg/kg dose which is a major over dose for her even at that size. So, again the above is our best option here to avoid harm + in case you didn't seem my reply above, here it is again -->

I've not heard back so I do want to send another note as this is too high a dose for your lass. She could end up with GI upset, vomiting, diarrhea, but also there is risk of liver damage, stomach ulcers, and this drug can bind red blood cells causing oxygenation issues. So, we do need to be proactive here. With this in mind, if she just had this, we can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.But again this is too high a dose and it carries some real risk. So, use the above now but any struggles and we'd want her seen urgently for supportive care but also this is on drug there is actually a prescription antidote your vet can use. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/ Kind regards,Dr. B.**************************Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian