Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 16 yr old dog (43lbs) who has cancer and is getting…

I have a 16...

I have a 16 yr old dog (43lbs) who has cancer and is getting really bad. I can't afford to have her put down and was wondering if it would be ok to give her 3mg of xanax to put her to sleep at home.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

It's not lethargy, it's cancer. As I said in the text, she is 16.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jasmine

3/17/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am so sorry to hear Jasmine has cancer, and is ready to be sent out of her misery.

Xanax may make her drowsy and may make her sleep for awhile, but it will not likely cause her to die. In some dogs, it can cause vomiting, and hyperactivity. 3 mg is the dose I would give a dog her size for thunderstorm anxiety, so it is not likely to end her suffering permanently. She would have to take a much higher dose, there might be unpleasant side effects, and it still might not actually cause her to pass away.

You local animal shelter may offer low cost humane euthanasia; I would call them and see. There is only one drug known that brings about a quick and peaceful death, and only veterinarian have it, and it has to be given by IV injection.

I am so sorry about Jasmine. My sincere condolences. Please let me know what other questions you have.

Thank you very much!

You are welcome. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?