Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

GM we took our dog to see our vet yesterday because she has…

GM we took our...

GM we took our dog to see our vet yesterday because she has been drinking a lot of water I got an urine sample and they drew blood found out she is diabetic she is 14 my question is if I do not give her the insulin how long will she survive and will she suffer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Gina

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gina?

Only that we Love her

3/17/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this is a tricky question because as I am sure you can appreciate no one has really researched how long a dog can last of treatment for diabetes (since that would be unethical). Though generally speaking they can live months to a year or two (depending how severely they are affected) without being treated but while not painful it is not nice for them. Dogs left untreated will often be constantly thirsty (which is uncomfortable for them as it'd be for us), prone to urinary accidents, recurrent bladder infections (since their urine is full of sugar and dilute --the perfect environment for bacteria), at risk of getting other infections, weight loss, at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis (an emergency issue), and often the high blood sugar leads to cataracts and kidney failure. So, its not something we want to leave without treatment if at all possible. Or if insulin just is not an option, it may be worth considering

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Oops, wee glitch there my last sentence with the link didn't load. I was saying that we could try her on a diabetic friendly diet (ie Hills W/D - https://www.hillspet.com/dog-food/pd-wd-canine-canned) to at least reduce the effects of her disease on her and with that lessen the signs, risks, or even insulin doses if you did choose to treat as well.

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian