Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have an older lab who has been diagnosed with larangyl…

Customer Question
We have an older...

We have an older lab who has been diagnosed with larangyl paralysis. Surgery for the disorder 3+ years ago but it failed. He has been weak in the back end for quite awhile now but yesterday had surgery to remove a bad tooth. His back end appears to be completely paralysed (sp?) and he has not been able to defecate or urinate since we brought him home yesterday afternoon at 2 PM. He didn't eat or drink till this morning and asked to go out. We are using a home-made sling to support his back end but even when out (and he's been out at least 4 times since being home) he's been unable to urinate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

HIs name is ***** ***** he's 11 (soon to be 12) years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?

I don't believe so - blood work done before surgery was normal so I don't think anything else is going on. Is there a charge for this?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. How is he doing now? Since he was just under anesthesia, it is possible that one of the drugs used (to induce anesthesia or if they gave him any pain medication after), is what is causing his issues. Do you know what medications he received? If not, I would call your vet and tell them what is going on and ask them if he could be having a negative reaction to one or more of the medications they gave him.