Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 3 year old beagle who was recently diagnosed with…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a 3 year old beagle who was recently diagnosed with an ear infection which is being treated with posatex (applied directly into ears); treatment started about two days ago with no symptoms. however, this evening she began vomiting which has now stopped but she is still sluggish and trembling. is this an emergency ? what could this be?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian

I am sorry your Beagle is unwell.

I do not thing there is any relationship between the ear medication and the vomiting. I suspect she has picked up a bug or has eaten something that has upset her stomach. Stomach ache and voting will often cause dogs to tremble and become quiet. This should quickly settle. If the vomiting is persisting, she becomes weak, anorexic or you are concerned then take her to your vets. Check to see her gums are a nice salmon pink colour and try her with a slight period of diet change to settle the stomach.

Starve her for 24 hours (from her last meal) but allow access to water. Then if she remains vomit free, offer a bland low fat diet using a 50:50 mix of protein (chicken, turkey, scrambled eggs) and carbohydrate (rice, pasta, potatoes). Feed small frequent meals slowly increasing the meal size and decreasing the frequency over a couple of days then if still OK transition back to her normal diet. You can try giving her some Zitec (Foamotidine) 0.5mg per 2lbs bodyweight once a day.

Good luck and I hope she improves quickly.

Regards

Dr Dan

Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian