Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I fed my boxer and frenchie 4 pieces of bacon each not

I fed my boxer...

I fed my boxer and frenchie 4 pieces of bacon each not knowing it’s not good for them

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

I’m going out of town in the morning and now I’m afraid to leave them

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Boxer is Kane he’s 10 and 75 lbs. frenchie is gizmo he’s 2 1/2 and 26 lbs

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, a little bit of bacon now and again as a treat is not going to harm your dogs as long as they are otherwise on a balanced diet. Really this is like the situation in people, a little bit of fatty food now and again is fine, but if you eat large amounts every day for all your life then eventually you might suffer adverse health effects.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why is everything saying they can get pancreatitis or bloat if they eat it? I’ve never given them bacon before and they only eat dog food and dog treats. I thought I was treating them when I gave them the bacon.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Like I said it is a question of excess, a little bit of rich fatty " human " food as an occasional treat is no problem, I certainly give my own dogs such things now and again. But avoid giving large amounts frequently,

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian