Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

THE LAST MONTH OR SO MY LITTLE DOG SMALL DOG HAS BEEM

Customer Question
THE LAST MONTH OR...

THE LAST MONTH OR SO MY LITTLE DOG SMALL DOG HAS BEEM FLOOPING DOWN STAGGERING DIFFICULTLY WALKING LEANS TO THE LEFT AND BANGED INTO THE WALL PANTING HEAVY AND CONFUSED AND FALLING OVER HAS HAD A COUPLE OF TURNS SHAKING ALL OVER

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

NO SHE DOES HAVE A LARGE HEART SHE HAS MEDICINE

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

MISSY AND IS ABOUT 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about MISSY?

SHE HAS TABLETS FOR A SKIN CONDITION

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Missy has been falling over. That can be caused by cardiovascular disease, weakness due to some metabolic condition, or a neurological problem.

Since Missy has already been diagnosed with heart disease, it is likely that the cause of her falling is due to a lack of adequate oxygen reaching to the brain. Some conditions that can cause weakness, that are not related to heart disease, include kidney disease, liver disease, hypoadrenocorticism, and diabetes, to name just a few.

Finally, she could be having a neurological condition that is causing her to fall over, such as vestibular disease (problem with part of the brain that controls balance). I recommend getting Missy to the vet for an exam to evaluate whether her heart disease has progressed. It would also be a good idea to have some lab work done to rule out the metabolic conditions that I mentioned. Your vet should also do a neurological exam to see whether this is being caused by a problem with her brain.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian