Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is 11 months old vomits often Usally when his hasn't

He is 11 months...

He is 11 months old vomits often Usally when his hasn't eaten in awhile but he ate around 9 pm last nite woke up this morning throwing up and has been throwing a lot this evening. And it has a metal smell

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Bandit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?

He is a malamute Shepard mix

3/17/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Okay
I will have to save my money to take him in if he need s to go

I am sorry to hear that Bandit has frequent episodes of vomiting, usually associated with not eating for a while but today is vomiting quite a bit with a metallic smell to his vomit.

The smell can indicate that he got into some sort of toxin, or it may indicate a small amount of blood in his vomit simply from vomiting so much his esophageal lining is irritated.

If he seems to feel well otherwise some dogs seem to vomit more on an empty stomach so long term feeding him small meals several times a day, and maybe a snack before bedtime, may be very helpful. It may also be helpful to put him on an acid reducing medication as too much stomach acid, especially on an empty stomach, is very irritating and predisposes to vomiting.

In many cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

If he seems to feel well other wise you can try to give an acid reducer to try and settle his stomach. Long term if he seems to vomit most in the morning on an empty stomach I recommend giving him a dose before bed so that it is in his system in the morning. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are both acid reducers and either one could help him feel better. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If things go well and he eats and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have other details or a particular question based upon my response.

He only eats dog food good dog food. NUTRI max he refuses to eat except late evening.

While this may be a very good food it may not be the right food for him, he may have some sensitivities to the ingredients.

I think it is worth trying an acid reducer and then offering the bland diet in the morning if he stops vomiting.

If he does well on the bland diet he may be a fellow that needs a bland diet long term. Both Science Diet and Royal Canin make sensitive stomach formulas that you can purchase at the pet store. Some dogs may even require a prescription food, either hypoallergenic or sensitive stomach, easy to digest bland diet for long term feeding to feel well and not vomit so often.

Ok thank you very much

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara