Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My doxie has a very swollen bum and it is red and he is

My doxie has a...

My doxie has a very swollen bum and it is red and he is chewing it. Can I use entederm on that area?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Ozzy he is 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ozzy?

8

3/17/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable! It sounds like the anal glands are full and irritating. These can be expressed by a groomer or your veterinary office technician can also do this.

Here is more information on anal glands in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs

Until you are able to get this done there are a few things you can do:
- Warm compresses on the rear to help loosen the material in the glands
- Increase the bulk of the stool with fiber such as white rice, canned pumpkin (1 tsp for her size twice daily), or supplementing the normal diet with a light formula diet
- Increase exercise with leash walks 15+ minutes 2-3 times daily to increase defecation of the larger stools
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound given every 8 hours until you can get this taken care of but may cause mild sedation initially
- You can use the entederm on the area but would advise wiping off after ten minutes to minimize ingestion but also reduce absorption of the steroids in this product

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not an anal gland problem. I take him to his vet every 5 weeks to have them expressed. His anus is very swollen and irritated, I have never seen this with any of his gland problems. He eats yams everyday for his fiber intake. I just wanted to put something on it until I can reach his vet Monday morning. So the entederm is dangerous when ingested?

It can cause side effects of steroid ingestion reading the ingredients that won't be toxic but can cause stomach upset, increased water intake/ urination and I typically will advise removing it after 10 minutes because effectiveness typically takes this period of time to absorb and wiping off will reduce risk of ingestion

Also you can use the benadryl and cool compresses on the rear to provide relief as well even if this is not an anal gland related issue it will provide relief until we can figure out the underlying cause

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian