Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 100 lb boxer ate a 1/2 bottle of exfoliator. Should I be…

My 100 lb boxer...

My 100 lb boxer ate a 1/2 bottle of facial exfoliator. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's acting normal, no side affects so far but we just got home and I am worried because its an exfoliator, which could be very rough on his tummy.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Can you please give me the name of the product and amount of the bottle so I can review the ingredients? Also how long ago did this occur?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The name is "Dr. Brandt Pore Dermanbrasion" its a pore perfecting exfoliator. He ate AT LEAST 1/2 of the bottle, and its a 2 oz bottle. We just got home from dinner and found the torn up bottle on the floor, so I am not sure how long ago it occurred. We left the house around 8PM EST and its 10:30 now.

Luckily there is not enough concentration nor concern in these products to be of concern for organ function, especially for a dog his size but if the container itself is ingested then we have a potential foreign body obstruction. So as long as your dog just ingested some of container and didn't actually ingest the plastic you should be just fine

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion.

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian