Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's bun was high at 39, creatinine a little high at 1.6…

My dog's bun was...

My dog's bun was high at 39, creatinine a little high at 1.6 but SDMA normal at 10. Urine specific gravity dilute at 1.004 (but was just given a bowl of water) and no protein in urine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

No pain, he had some diarrhea which is almost gone with flagyl. Bloodwork and urinalysis were done just in case

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Tobi

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, his bun/creatinine ratio was 24.4.

I am sorry that these values came back a little abnormal. It is possible with a normal SDMA and elevated BUN/ Creatinine this is a prerenal azotemia or simply related to dehydration but I would expect a concentrated urine not dilute. That being said I would be inclined to simply recheck values again in 7 days (after diarrhea resolves) to see if there is a stabilization of the values since the SDMA is the most specific for kidney function

Also if his PCV and Total Protein are high to high normal this can also reflect dehydration as the cause of the changes noted above

I hope this is helpful, I have a tendency to be more conservative in these scenarios if they are otherwise doing well but would consider a urine culture as well to ensure there is no infection in the kidneys causing the values to elevate with such a dilute urine.

I also would advise checking a first morning urine concentration which is the most concentrated the urine would be during the day, not drinking as much overnight and not urinating for an extended period of time

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! ***** ask what PCV is? And Total Protein would be blood or urine? And what is prerenal azotemia? The urine culture is being done and just isn't back yet. It was suggested that I recheck in 5 days and feed k/d in the mean time with omega 3 supplements. Also, in July he had the reverse, normal bun, slightly elevated BUN. Rechecked in a couple weeks and all was normal. Would this represent a pattern that suggests any underlying condition besides kidney issues?

PCV is the concentration of your blood, when low it is an anemia and when elevated it can be related to less fluid in the blood and more packed red cells

Total protein of the blood not the urine

Prerenal= before the kidneys so not involving the urinary tract but due to dehydration concentrating the blood so making the values of the kidneys appear higher than they actually are because the blood is more concentrated. Renal = kidney involvement, Postrenal means it is involving the ureters, bladder, or urethra

I definitely have patients that I monitor chronically because they cyclicly go high/ normal and as long as the pattern continues and doesn't escalate I simply continue to monitor. A few are on the kidney diet longterm to minimize progression.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you again. Total protein was normal at 5.6. I don't see a PCV on the blood work. May it also be called something else? Tobi doesn't seem to be anemic according to the best I could do with interpreting his labs and my vet didn't mention it. All of my reading seems to say that it is extremely out of the ordinary for the bun to be high but sdma normal.

PCV is also HCT (packed cel volume or hematocrit) I would expect to be increased not decreased with dehydration. I wouldn't expect to see anemia in this scenario

BUN is not very specific for kidney function whereas SDMA is very specific. So in a dog that is vomiting it can reflect an elevated BUN from dehydration but stomach upset can also cause this elevation as well. SDMA is the most specific for kidneys, creatinine second then BUN. I do see an elevated BUN without an elevated SDMA on occasion with gi upset or dehydration

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you very much. His HCT was 52.7 with the highest normal given by the lab being 56.5 Does that seem like it may be dehydration? No vomiting, just the diarrhea, off and on for a week, but given nutracal and probiotics, eating and acting perfectly normal, I also added water to his food which has a high moisture content (weruva). That's pretty much what I wanted to know is if the BUN could be temporarily increased from gastrointestinal issues and not kidney issues.

Yes, unless you are at higher altitude this is very common to be high normal. It very likely is related to gi upset and dehydration but rechecking as your veterinarian advised is really the best course of action

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!​

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian