Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a DHLPP+_Lyme vaccination yesterday. she is sore…

My dog had a...

My dog had a DHLPP+_Lyme vaccination yesterday. she is sore at the site and feeling weak. Please advise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Maggie age 9 (est)

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Maggie?

Approx 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

She has always been in robust health and active. She is some over weight.

3/17/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Maggie is feeling unwell, hopefully, this is not so serious but I have worked out an answer for you below.

I do wonder if what you are seeing is a minor vaccine reaction related to the vaccination your dog recently had. The situation is that vaccine reactions can and do occur but of course I cannot accurately advise on individual cases over the internet so if you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your dog over without delay, having said that I can tell you the following :

Basically, there are two sorts of vaccine reactions which can occur :

1. Serious anaphylactic reactions: These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your dog will be in extremis or collapsed. I doubt if this is happening in your dog's case.

2. Mild reactions: These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four or five days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus sometimes lethargy and vomiting. These dogs feel very sorry for themselves but on balance the protection they receive via vaccination is so important.

As I said it seems likely to me under the circumstances that she may have the second form of the vaccine reaction but of course other diagnoses are possible. If this is a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat this is just support and trying to keep her eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. While there can be no guarantees my experience is that the majority of these dogs slowly return to normal over a couple of days without any special treatment.

Of course, if your dog deteriorates further or you become more concerned you should have her checked over by your local vet without delay. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Maggie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As of now, Maggie is about 80% of her old self. Your information confirmed what I was thinking.

I am so glad she is improving ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian