Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

MY DOG ATE 1/2 TUB OF WHIPPED BUTTER. WHAT SHOULD WE DO.

MY DOG ATE 1/2...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

PENNY IS AGE 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

PENNY

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about PENNY?

PENNY IS A 35 LB. bEAGLE WHO HAS copd / BRONCHITIS AND IS SEEING A VET TO TREAT THOSE ISSUES.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The good news is that there is nothing in whipped butter which is toxic to dogs as such even if eaten in quantity, so the chances are that Penny will be just fine. That said some dogs may perhaps develop a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea purely because of suddenly eating a larger amount of rich unaccustomed human food, this can happen when a dog gorges on almost anything. This incident should not affect her existing health issues so if Penny is acting normally at present then you will be taking very little risk if you just observe her for now, but I will give you a few tips on how to handle thing should a mild stomach upset occur { It may well not }.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a tablespoon twice a day should be fine for a dog of your one's size.

Of course, if adverse symptoms do arise and if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she then deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side, but hopefully this will be unlikely. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Penny's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian