Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12week old puppy are a pine cone and now is vomiting

3/17/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I need to ask a few additional questions.

When did he eat the pine cone? Did he eat the whole thing?

How many times has he vomited?

Is he lethargic or distressed?

He ate some of it . He ate dinner at 5 and the pine cone after about 8 pm has now vomited 3 times. His dinner and some fragments of the pine cone. He is sleeping nighttime or lethargic. He did go out to urine

Thank you. Do you know how much he weighs? Do you know if he can keep water down?

He is 17 lbs. drank water vomited again drank a little more wants to eat his throw up

Okay do not let him eat until he has not vomited for 3 hours.

To help keep his blood sugar up, rub some karo syrup or honey on his gums right now.

To help settle his stomach give him 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC tablet or 1/4 of a 75 mg zantac tablet.

Those are over the counter stomach acid reducers.

They sell them at the human drug store, grocery store, and walmart.

It is fine to crush the 1/4 tablet and put it in a syringe or eye dropper with water.

Do not let him drink water until he has not vomited for an hour.

Then offer him just one sip. Make sure he keeps it down before giving him more.

He should be back to normal, eating well and not vomiting, by morning.

If he is not, then he needs to see the vet.

The pine cone can irritate the stomach so I am hoping that is all it is.

The pepcid ac or zantac can be given every 12 hours as needed.

Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

I have ranitidine tablet 75 mg can I use that

Yes, ranitidine is generic zantac. That is perfect. 1/4 of a tablet every 12 hours.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Does that help? Do you have any other questions at the moment? You can reply later on if needed. Even after you rate my answer.

Thank you so much we really appreciate it can I get back to you later tonight if I have more questions

You are very welcome. If it is in the middle of the night I may be asleep : )

But I will get back to you as soon as I get your message.