Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 pound havanese eat a marihuana cigaret, what should I…

My 11 pound havanese...

My 11 pound havanese eat a marihuana cigaret, what should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Havanese?

She eat a mariguana cigarette

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Havanese seem to hurt?

Are you there?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Other than been sleepy, she's walking, I gave her water, but she's definetelly out of it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Havanese. What is the Havanese's name and age?

She's 2 1/2 years old and 11 pounds, her name is lacie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lacie?

Other than been letargic, no

3/17/2018
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

Marijuana can be toxic. It is likely she needs Vet care. Vets are used to seeing this and usually don't ask questions and are not required by law to report it. You can read more about this here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_marijuana_toxicity.html

THC is stored in the fat and thus the affects of it can last for days. You can burn some toast and see if you can get that down her to absorb some of the toxin. You may want to switch to pedialyte so his electrolytes stay in balance. Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to keep her glucose levels up. Monitor her temperature. It should be between 101-102.5F. You want to keep her warm so if it starts dropping, cover her with a blanket. If need be, warm dry towels on the belly can help.

I wished I had seen this earlier or another expert had stepped in. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

jadedangel57
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This was at three in the pm, by now she’s walking better and she has drank water on her own. She’s still quiet but pretty alert, just not barking by the door as she always does. I Thank You very much for your response and your expertise.

I'm glad she seems to be doing better. Continue to monitor her though and keep her sugar levels up at least for a few days.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner