Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave 5 year old mix lab shepherd he had ate a lot of

Customer Question
I gave 5 year...

I gave 5 year old mix lab shepherd he had ate a lot of spinach 2 weeks ago and he is moving slow and dragging his legs what can I do for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the lab will be able to digest that. What is the lab's name?

Bow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bow?

He is drinking water and eating

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your fellow Bow is moving slow and dragging his rear legs.

I don't think that this has anything to do with eating spinach 2 weeks ago.

Has he ever had radiographs of his spine or hips?

If you pinch his toes on his rear feet does he feel it?
If you flip his rear feet so the topside is down does he immediately right them?

It is important to find out whether he is too weak and painful to move properly or whether he has lost the ability to do so.

Is he able to hold his eliminations and go consciously or has he has lost the ability to control his urine and stool (incontinence)? If he has loss of control he has loss of neurologic function.

Given his breed mix it is very possible that he is dysplastic. Sometimes it is simply too painful to move normally . Symptoms can happen suddenly if a piece of the arthritic changes in his hip breaks off and is free in the joint.

But if he is dragging his toes that can signify neurologic problems, such as an intervertebral disc(s) (cushions between the bony vertebrae) that are out of place or spinal arthritis putting pressure on the spinal cord or even a mass in or around the spinal cord.

Another possibility is a condition called FCE, fibrocatilagenous emboli, where a chunk of cartilage breaks off and lodges in the blood vessels that supply the spinal nerve roots. It is very painful initially as blood supply to tissue is blocked off. The pain only lasts a short time, less than a few hours to a day, but the weakness from the nerve damage it causes it can last for weeks or in rare cases is permanent.

Rotties and German Shepherds are prone to a disease process that affects the rear legs called lumbosacral stenosis (LSS).
It can have many of the same symptoms as a FCE as it causes neurologic symptoms too. It is caused by weak spinal ligaments that allow the bones in the spinal column to move and place pressure on the spinal cord or it can be due to inflammation of the ligaments inside the spinal cord canal causing pressure on the spinal cord leading to loss of function, just like a FCE.

FCE are initially painful but after that it's just a matter of regaining function.
LSS can be painful on and off until the spinal column is stabilized and the pressure is taken off the spinal cord permanently.

Another possibility if he doesn't seem painful is a condition called ascending myelopathy. This is a progressive degeneration of the spinal nerves that begins with incoordination of the rear legs then progresses to loss of urine and stool control (continence). This would be very unlikely with him if his symptoms came on very suddenly.

He really needs a veterinary examination as soon as possible. Radiographs to look for a collapsed disc space or arthritis of the spine and hip dysplasia would be helpful. We need to know what the problem is to treat it successfully.

If those look fine then an MRI of his spinal cord in the back of the body will be helpful.

Pain and inflammation in these conditions is controlled with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories like Deramaxx, Metacam, Previcox, or Rimadyl as well as Tramadol and/or Gabapentin.
You can use these with the omega 3's and glucosamines if arthritis or hip dysplasia is diagnosed. These nutraceuticals help improve cartilage and joint fluid health as well as reduce inflammation.

I recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 80 pound dog could take 1600mg of EPA per day. Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.

Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.html

There is no treatment for myelopathy, unfortunately. We can only truly diagnose that condition after death because it requires a biopsy of spinal cord tissue. We usually rule out everything else and with a history of little to no pain and a gradual onset then we assume it is myelopathy.

There is a blood test that looks for genetic markers for the disease which is pretty accurate. Here is a link to a website which will give you information about how to get him tested: http://www.offa.org/dnatesting/dm.html

If he is not responding to cortisone or nonsteroidals then I think that more diagnostic testing should be done. An MRI of his spinal cord will help diagnose intervertebral disc disease or lumbosacral stenosis. Those conditions can be treated surgically.

In the meantime try and keep your pup quiet. With spinal instability the more they do, especially jarring activities like running and stairs, the faster the condition can progress.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I had took him to vet they pull a bladder sample and putt him on Novax & doxycycline..the bladder sample was with a ultrasound needle.they did bloodwork..and he was walking before the meds on all 4 legs like walking on eggshells...He couuldc urinate on his own..this morning he was down in the back legs..and I took him out..and he pooped two large piles just ice cream c coming out like a machine.. sod the vet said stop the novax... I have googled about the doxycycline..and it people...say it cases them to lose their urine..should I stop i t to ???next dose is scheduled at 9:30??

Doxycycline should not cause him to lose function in his rear legs nor urinary incontinence, and it sounds he was weak in the rear and having trouble walking normally before the Doxycycline was even started.

I suspect that he has spinal cord disease of some type, and that led to an odd way of walking and allowed him to develop a bladder infection. That is very unusual in a male dog, and could happen if his urethral tone was poor due to poor spinal nerve function.

Give him his Doxycycline medication as directed.

Novox is an anti-inflammatory that could cause loose stools, so I understand stopping that for now.

They may want to take radiographs of his rear spine and pelvis. That could identify infection in the bone or a tumor.

But because nerves and the spinal cord itself are all soft tissues he may need an MRI to identify the problem.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****