Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

While we were out of the house (less than 1.5 hrs) our dog…

While we were out...

While we were out of the house (less than 1.5 hrs) our dog ate a packet of hot cocoa mix. She is a pug/chihuahua mix, 7.5kg and the packet was 0.71 oz. She did not eat all of the packet, as some was still on the carpet. She is exhibiting no sx and is running around acting playful. Please advise. Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lula, 3.5 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lula?

3.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lula?

Otherwise healthy, allergy to chicken

3/17/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Don't give it a second thought. There's very little cocoa in those mixes which are mostly sugar. When a dog ingests 1/8 ounce of pure cocoa per kg of body weight (almost an ounce for Lula) theobromine toxicity (vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion) is a risk. That amount wasn't present in the mix and so there's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the advise. That is a relief. Have a good evening.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian