Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog accidentally ate one of my diclofensc sodium 50mg…

Customer Question
My dog accidentally ate...

My dog accidentally ate one of my diclofensc sodium 50mg pills. She’s 70 pounds I just want to make sure she will be okay

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Butter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Butter?

She just started on two other pills today prozac and trazodne for her anxiety

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. How long ago did this occur?
  2. Do you have fresh (unexpired) hydrogen peroxide at home?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just happened and I do

Diclofenac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug that we don't use in dogs due to increased incidents of side effects including lethargy, tremors, convulsions, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, gastrointestinal ulcers, diarrhea, heart rhythm abnormalities including a slow heart rate, or low blood pressure. the LD50 in dogs is a dose greater than 55mg/kg of body weight. That means 50% of dogs given that dose die.

Your pup is 70 pounds or 32ks, so a LD50 for her is 1750mgs. If she ate 50mgs that is unlikely to be deadly for her, but she could have some pretty significant vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain and cramping.

Since it has been less than 2 hours I would induce vomiting to try and get at least some of the medication out.

Induce vomiting by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take her out and run her around to get the peroxide fizzing.

Do not give more than 3 tablespoons in a single dose, even though she weighs more than 35 pounds.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once more.

She won't have effects from the pills until they are in her system for several hours, or in some cases a day or so.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.

Once she clears her stomach to try and settle her stomach tonight you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. I would use one of these for the next 10 -14 days or so to try and help her stomach heal

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat and 2/3 boiled, white rice.

If she doesn't vomit with peroxide you can get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

Once it has been more than 2 hours, or she doesn't vomit the pills, then it is best to have her admitted to a veterinary clinic to be given oral activated charcoal to absorb the drug and decrease its absorption into her body, placed on fluids, and given injectable drugs and oral drugs to reduce nausea and protect against ulcer formation.

Even if you do get her to vomit most of the pills at home watch her closely for abdominal pain, vomiting blood, loss of appetite, passing dark tarry stools or extreme lethargy and have her seen by a veterinarian if those occur.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian