Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Puppy had booster shot a few hours ago, we gave him benedryl…

Puppy had booster shot...

Puppy had booster shot a few hours ago, we gave him benedryl before but he's extremely sore, shaking, cries when he moves. I have dog aspirin or tramadol would those help or what? He weighs 3 lbs. Born Dec 7 -17

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Rocky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?

He didn't want food

3/17/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Rocky seems sore and is shaking and crying, refusing to settle after his veterinary appointment and vaccines today.

It is possible that he is having a mild reaction to the vaccines. These sorts of reactions can make him feel uncomfortable, and can sometimes lead to vomiting, diarrhea, facial swelling and hives.

I recommend giving him an antihistamine to control allergic symptoms for at least 72 hours. I know you are giving Benadryl, but I want to make sure you are giving an appropriate dose.

You can give Benadryl (diphenhydramine only, the combination products with decongestants and acetaminophen are toxic to dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. That's one quarter of a 25mg tablet every 12 hours for a dog that is 3 to 6 pounds.

Be aware that antihistamines can cause drowsiness or hyperactivity which should resolve with continued use.

He should be much more comfortable in about 3 hours or so.

If he seems truly miserable you can give him one dose of an aspirin. BUT ONLY IF he did not receive a steroid/cortisone (examples include vetalog, prednisone, prednisolone or dexamethasone) dose this afternoon with his vaccine.

Do not give if he is vomiting or not eating anything.

Aspirin does cause stomach and intestinal irritation and ulceration as well as clotting problems so should not be given for more than 2 to 3 days consecutively and should always be given with a meal. If you choose to use it watch for lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools and stop immediately if you see those. Do not use aspirin if your dog has liver or kidney disease or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems.

The dose for aspirin is 5mg to 10mg per pound of body weight orally every 12 hours (about one quarter of an 80mg aspirin for a 3 pound dog every 12 hours). Always give with a meal. Do not use for more than 2 or 3 days. If he's refusing to eat his usual food you can offer meat baby food or a homemade bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or lean, boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.

If he begins vomiting or has diarrhea, has any difficulty breathing or facial swelling it is time to have him seen on an emergency basis for a steroid injection.

You should report this reaction to his veterinarian. It should be noted on his permanent record and the manufacturer should be informed.

In the future he should only be given one vaccine at a time and they may wish to pretreat him with anti-histamines or steroids when he is vaccinated as a precaution to prevent such reactions and/or send him home with some anti-inflammatory medications.

If he seems itchy you can bathe him in cool water and an oatmeal shampoo to soothe skin itchiness and inflammation. Lather well, let sit for 10-15 minutes then rinse with cool water. The cool water closes skin capillaries and soothes inflamed skin and the oatmeal reduces inflammation.

If he has difficulty breathing or begins vomiting and having diarrhea you must find emergency care for him.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian