Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got bit in the neck he has a tooth puncher wound and…

My dog got bit...

My dog got bit in the neck he has a tooth puncher wound and now that side of his neck is very swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

At first yes it kept dripping now its not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Baxter almost 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baxter?

Nope he's just old and grumpy

3/17/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did the bite happen? Do you know what bit him? What treatment have you tried so far?

It was my other dog, it was over a bone

And when did it happen? What have you tried so far?

About an hour ago, I haven't done anything just cleaned up blood
Is the swelling normal?

Okay thank you.

Clean the wound with betadine or 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Then apply over the counter neosporin or antibiotic cream to help fight infection.

A little swellin, such as an inch around the wound is normal.

But if the neck is very swollen that means there was a lot of trauma to the tissue in that area so that is not normal.

Hold an ice pack over the swollen area, for twenty minutes every hour, until bedtime.

Okay

The only over the counter pain medication that dogs can take is aspirin. But I would NOT give it in this case because it can increase bleeding.

Infection is a concern. But it would not be infected yet or the signs of infection would not be present yet.

If it is still really swollen in the morning, take him into the vet for antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory.

Most regular vets are open on Saturday mornings. That way you can avoid the emergency clinic prices over the weekend.

Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

it makes sense
Can I ask you another question?

Sure, ask away.

As long as it is related to what we have been talking about.

Okay it's not it's about my other dog

Okay, is it is quick question or complicated? If it is complicated then it would be best to ask that as a new question.

Also, can you please rate my answer by clicking on the stars? That is how I know how I did and how the website credits me for answering.

He swallowed a silicon BBQ brush head, whole on Wednesday but hasn't pooped it out but is eating happy playful should I keep waiting for it to pass

You can still reply even after you rate, or accept, the answer.

Yes, as long as he is eating well and playful I would continue to monitor him.

If he develops a blockage he will stop eating, be lethargic, and vomit a lot.

If he goes 5 days without popping he should see a vet.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Okay thanks

You are welcome. It sounds like he is normal right now. If you want to add some fiber to his diet, to see if that helps bulk things up and move them through, and easy thing to try is canned pumpkin. Not the pie filling but real canned pumpkin.

1-2 spoonfuls twice a day until he has a bowel movement.

She's been pooping twice a day and I've checked her poop but no brush

That is good. Then skip the pumpkin.

You may not see the brush come out if she chewed it up and her stomach acid breaks it down.

Okay but she swallowed it whole I tried to get it out of her mouth but she was too quick

Then her stomach acid may, or may not, break it down. I would not panic yet. It sounds like she is doing well and normal.

It may be digested over time and it may not be an issue.

A vet could take an x-ray if you want to see where it is in her gi tract. The metal should show up on x-ray.

Thank you

You are very welcome.