Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is rapaflo safe for dogs? what's the dose?

is rapaflo safe for dogs...
is rapaflo safe for dogs? what's the dose?
3/16/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

This drug has not been tested much in dogs and a safe dosage is not published. What is wrong with him that you want to use this medication?

I found one paper describing an experiment using it, but they did not publish a dose. I would not recommend using this, unless you are working with a veterinarian, and monitoring his blood pressure.

There may be an alternative; what is his problem?

he has been having problems urinating off and on. Usually lasts 24-36 hrs then resolves on its own. Last episodes went a few days, our vet catherized him to drain the bladder because he was in pain. Just had an ultrasound and there is no sign of stones, no masses -- however they couldn't get a good view of the prostate (he was neutered at age 2, now 7). Blood work and urine analysis were normal. Our vet is stumped. We know dogs get BPH and wondered if that's the problem, even though he's neutered.

It would be unusual for a neutered dog to have BPH. Sadly, he could have prostate cancer. I am sorry they could not evaluate the prostate on ultrasound.

Did they try to palpate the prostate rectally, or try a rectal ultrasound probe to get a look at it?

Has a urinalysis been done? I might do a urinalysis but sent it to your vet's outside lab, and ask for a "clinical pathology review" to have a veterinary pathologist look at it to help get a diagnosis.

I will ask if they did a prostate exam rectally. Definitely didn't mention a probe. They did a basic urine analysis to check for p) and white blood cells. That was all normal.

I would consider sending a urinalysis for a clinical pathology review, not just a plain urinalysis. I would try to get a good look at the prostate; maybe a more experienced ultrasonography could see it.

I can't recommend the Rapaflo as it is not fully tested in dogs, and this is not likely to be BPH in a dog neutered at 2 years of age.

Ok thank you. Much appreciated

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?