Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is diabetic and just threw up - we have been unable to…

She is diabetic and...

She is diabetic and just threw up - we have been unable to stabilize her glucose since she was diabetic. I gave her a few slices of sweet potatoe and carrots for snack after her walk today. we tested her glucose around 2p and it was 699

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

There was paper in her vomit - she is floor licker but we think she is just hungry all the time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Kiah - she is a 9yr Aussie pure breed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

To our understanding she has not had insulin all month while we were away on vacation. about 2 weeks prior to our vacation Kiah had a mild seizure and spent the night at the animal hospital - since then the Vet at the hospital and our reg Vet have advised very little to no insulin since her sugar is not regulated. She was a very healthy and happy dog until this diagnosis- she is trying very hard to be her normal attentive self, She has also experienced hair lost while at the vet kennel - not sure if this was stress or not.

3/16/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Kiah being diabetic and now vomiting.

If her blood sugar is that high, she needs to be on insulin. I keep raising the insulin dose by one unit at a time until the glucose is under 200-250. With blood sugar that high, she is at risk for diabetic cataracts and blindness.

Since she is vomiting, I might test her for pancreatitis.

I might also consider testing her for Cushing's disease, which sometimes occurs with diabetes and makes the diabetes very hard to regulate. Cushing's can cause seizures in some cases.

Please let me know if you see my answer, if this is helpful, and if you have other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the good rating. How is she doing?