Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How can I keep my haired German shepherd from giving himself…

How can I keep my...
How can I keep my long haired German shepherd from giving himself hotspots on his back? It feels like I've tried everything!
3/16/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Finn keeps getting hot spots. Does he have allergies? They are a common cause of skin problems in dogs. Has the treatment that you have done worked in the past?

Not that I know of- i frontline him every month and deworm him. He’s never had this problem before the past month or so

And he's a year old?

he’s 10 months old

Okay, so around this age is when some dogs start to have skin allergies. What happens is that the skin becomes inflamed, and due to that, bacteria on the surface of the skin slip under the skin, causing the infection and inflammation you are seeing (hot spot). To treat this successfully, I would get some oral prednisone and antibiotics from your vet. To prevent it from coming back, I would try putting Finn on some Benadryl and see if that helps. About how much does he weigh?

About 85 pounds!

Okay, I would get some 50 mg Benadryl tabs and give 3 tabs every 8-12 hours (1-3 times a day). If it makes him too sleepy, you can cut the dose down to 2 tabs. If he swims, be sure to dry him thoroughly. The moisture that remains in that thick coat is a perfect environment for bacteria to grow in.

Okay! Thank you. Are there any common things that he could be allergic to?

Yes, and they are many of the same things that people are allergic to, such as trees, pollen, grasses, molds, etc.

okay, thank you!

You're welcome. Good luck with him. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions or concerns.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian