Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua has tape worms. I have Praziquantel 35 mg in a…

Hi my chihuahua has...

Hi my chihuahua has tape worms. I have Praziquantel 35 mg in a capsule form and want to make sure it's safe to give to him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your Chihuahua can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your Chihuahua's name and age?

Chito and he's a rescue so I think he's about 10? he's half ***** ***** I think

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chito?

No he just had skin issues as he lived outside most of his life so he has that black hind leg skin but he's doing great and a lot of his hair grew back.

3/16/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Yes, a 35 mg capsule of praziquantel is safe to give to Chito. Also remember to get rid of any fleas and prevent them in the future, since dogs get tapeworms from ingesting fleas.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK because I had it here for my cat that never ended up having any worms and thought why not use it on Chito then start his flea meds in 24 hours

Yes, it is fine to use for him. You can actually treat the fleas and the worms at the same time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! As far as my other animals unless I see the tape worms, then I don't treat them correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
May I ask another question on my other chi or would it be another charge?

No extra charge. Go ahead. As for the other animals, if you're not seeing tapeworms, there is probably no need to treat but you can just to be on the safe side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Next question, my old mama chi Ruby has a really dry nose. Do I get the salve at Petco or just use coconut oil? She's been seen a lot and has a lot of issues like an enlarged heart and liver issues.

I would use Vaseline instead of coconut oil.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Thanks for all of your help! Have a great weekend.

You're welcome! Good luck with them. If I've been helpful I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions or concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian