Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hiding in crate, won't come out, even for treats, but wants…

Customer Question
Hiding in crate, won't...

Hiding in crate, won't come out, even for treats, but wants to go outside for walks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?

Yes. just today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

She tries to hide when the waffle maker beeps. wondering if there is something in the house I can't hear that is causing her to be off.. Dog is Gabby - age is 7, almost 8 Bichon & Brussels mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gabby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gabby?

She can be skittish - we got her that way. rescued her about 8 months

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe that you're correct. She's hiding because she's fearful/phobic and is anxious to escape whatever she smells, hears, or sees by going outside for walks. Her history supports an anxious dog which is consistent with her current behavior. Can you think of anything new nearby that would have prompted this abrupt change in her behavior?