Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is a 13 year old dachshund who is experiencing a

He is a 13...

He is a 13 year old dachshund who is experiencing a disconnect in his system somewhere in his lower back atea, his front fascia

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He has to pull himself around by his front legs. His back legs don't work.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't semi to hurt. The back area just seems numb.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Denny is 13 years olf

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Denny?

Eats well, bowels and etc work ok. He is alert

3/16/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question.​ I'm sorry to hear that Denny isn't able to use his back legs. When did you first notice it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Couple of weeks ago he began to lose his balance and topple over. The conditions seem to worsen gradually until now he can't use the back legs at all .at first it seemed that one leg was compensating for both of them

Dachshunds are at risk of developing back problems, specifically slipped discs. The disc pushes up on the spinal cord, causing nerve problems. Most likely he has a slipped disc in the area of the spine that provides nerve supply to his back legs. There is a chance that the damage can be reversed by strict cage rest, anti-inflammatory medication, and muscle relaxers. I would take him to the vet for an exam and the medications. In some cases, back surgery is required to re-establish normal leg function. Your vet can determine if this is the case when they do a neurological exam.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This makes sense to me and I will take your advice. I will let you know how itvgord.
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian