Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm worried that my beardie isn't growing the way he should…

Hi! I'm worried that...

Hi! I'm worried that my beardie isn't growing the way he should be

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with Beardie?

Hes actually doing pretty well lately. I've had him for about 1.5 months and in the first week I noticed he had some symotoms of MBD. I made some changes to his setup and vitamins and hes doing very well, but isn't growing much. He is 7 months old and only 12 inches

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does Beardie seem to hurt?

Hes not hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Beardie?

He is recovering from the beginning stages of MBD

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G and I can help you out with your beardie.
There are many reasons that they may not be growing as well. Certainly MBD and issues related to husbandry play a role so let’s start there.
Can you send me a picture of your set up? Size of enclosure? Exact diet? What brand and type of UV light do you have? What supplements do you use?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello!He is in a 20 Gallon Long Setup with EcoEarth substrate.
His exact diet is: 20-25 feeders (used to be Phoenix worms, over the past two days I’ve switched to medium crickets instead. Today he ate around 25 and didn’t want any more) as well as collard greens.
His protein food is dusted with Miner-All 4 days a week and Reptivate the other 3 days.
The UV light is a Zilla T8 desert bulb. The basking spot of 108 degrees is available but he prefers the spot that is 95 typically. Cool side of the tank is 72-79 degrees.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forgot to add: I think he may also be small by nature because I saw his siblings when picking him out, and they were all at least a few inches bigger than he at the time. He was the smallest in the tank. (Egg-mates litter mates? Clutch mates?) Regardless I worry that his size hasn’t changed in the past month
Ok, I’m not quite sure of some of the brand names but..
UV bulb is a good choice.
Your supplements should be only a plain calcium, no D3 and no phosphorus, given every day at this age. If using a multivitamin, it should be only every week or two.
It sounds like he is eating well. Make sure that he gets enough soaking. Every few days.
Sounds like his appetite is good and he is eating well.
If it has only been a month, it may take longer to see a change. Once they have MBD, it takes time to rebuild calcium and then start placing down new bone.
Do you have a gram scale or kitchen scale? I would way him weekly as he may be getting bigger and it’s harder to tell if you see him every day.
MBD can permanently stunt their growth as well.
Also, now that you have gotten better husbandry, there may be other things causing his small size. Dropping off a fecal sample to your vet for testing can tell you if he has parasites that need treating, as that can stunt growth as well.
If he is really tiny or thin, it could even be a viral disease as well, although that is less likely since he is eating so well.Just make sure to do the plain calcium powder every day until he is more grown and make sure you feed your crickets some food before feeding them to your beardie.
Also, I see that he is 12” Long....that’s not that small. It sounds like he has done some growing to get that big.
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ah ok, I thought that 12 inches for a 7 month old was small. The calcium I use does have D3, is that ok?
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian