Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 14yrs and 5 months old Komondor female who

I have a 14yrs...

I have a 14yrs and 5 months old Komondor female who developed 2 mammary tumors...one is about 1 1/4”(diameter...I’m saying about, because it’s irregular) and the other is smaller than 1/2”...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

She had a benign mass removed along with her toe in August 2017...She had a CBC done at that time and everything looked good...I’m not sure if I should have her mammary tumors removed or not...She had an appt last week, but she was acting a bit weird and I was afraid to put her under...She’s been very healthy all her life...she’s been under anesthesia twice...once when she was 3 for a surgical insemination(which resulted in a litter of 4...that was her only litter)...and again last August to have her toe removed...I still don’t know what she had going on on her toe...it looked like an infection...she was on two rounds of antibiotics, but it didn’t budge and we had to amputate her toe...the mass they removed was tested, but they didn’t say what it was...they only said that it wasn’t malignant...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Nothing I can think of...she’s otherwise healthy...she not in any pain...her joints r ok...but she is older and that’s why I am concerned about putting her under... she’s been waking up slower in the morning...and sometimes seems confused(when she wakes up...)...she’s a bit hard of hearing...the mammary tumors don’t hurt her, but I wanted to get them removed just in case...I don’t want to do a biopsy...I thought that it would be best to remove them intact, but because she’s been a bit slower than her usual self, I feared that the anesthesia may be too risky...Her vet was also on the fence...She’s my baby and I’m afraid of making the wrong choice...

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I completely understand your hesitations and from most recent research aspiration of mammary tumors is not a definitive diagnosis so agree removal is advised.

I am a firm believer that age is not a disease and use previous anesthetic procedures as a guideline on how to address future anesthesia. For example, if blood pressure was a little low a year ago I might taper my preanesthetic a bit to reduce this risk or with her being slower more recently use less opioids which might have a more difficult recovery and lower pressures under anesthesia.

If you trust your veterinarian then I would consider moving forward. Let's say that you have her another 1-2 years and these lumps are continuing to grow. In my experience if they are in fact malignant she will begin to be bothered by them, they may ulcerate or she may begin chewing on them. She is healthier now then she would be in 6-12 months so best to remove them sooner and reduce your worry of growth or spread down the road.

I tend to be very conservative with treatments but when you mention mammary tumors, previous anesthetic procedures without incident, and her age I would be more versus less aggressive to minimize her discomfort over time

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u! I was right there with u about nipping it in the bud...I hope that this is the best course of action...the surgery shouldn't be invasive...the anesthesia was my biggest concern...she was under for over two hours last Aug when they removed her toe and her vet said that she did great...I've asked her vet and her breeder(who's been breeding and showing Komondors for close to 40 years), but everybody is afraid to tell me what to do, cause they know that she's my baby and there is always risk with anesthesia...and her age unfortunately does it make riskier...

If her bloodwork is unremarkable, she has no heart murmur and is otherwise healthy she should be fine. Of course there are always risks with anesthesia and we have to weigh benefits to risks. You could have regrets either way in this scenario. Leaving the masses until they become an issue for her has its own risks as well...

I have done anesthesia in 17-18 year old dogs without issues, if they are healthy otherwise the risks are there and as long as you are aware of them and your veterinarian is part of your team and comfortable with anesthesia you have to consider taking the risk to mininize issues down the road. My two cents :)

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly and I would love an update if/ when you are through to the other side!

I am going to be taking a short break but will return in a little bit to see if you had additional questions or comments. I truly wish you both the best

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u! Yeah...I've been weighing the pros and cons...her CBC was normal...no heart murmur...she's been very healthy...she has perfect teeth(I've been cleaning her teeth myself since she was a baby)...but I lost her brother when he was only 11yrs and 8 months...
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian