Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He found a dead decapitated rabbit and ate parts. Jesse.

He found a dead...

He found a dead decapitated rabbit and ate parts

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Jesse. Standard Poodle. 11.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jesse?

He takes 10 mg prednisone every other day autoimmune

3/16/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Hopefully this will not cause any ill effects but as with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion (my dogs have done this before too). I always do advise a broad spectrum dewormer after an ingestion like this to ensure that no worms or parasites were ingested as a precaution

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are very welcome

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pepcid? Is that the same as Pepto Bismol?

No please no pepto which isn't as effective for gi upset and turns the stool black which can be confused with an upper gi bleed. Pepcid is an over the counter antacid available at your local grocery or pharmacy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should i expect vomiting? It’s been about 30’min

Not necessarily unless he has a sensitive stomach. Most of the time the parts are just digested but there are risks of vomiting and diarrhea with gi upset from this ingestion

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. thank you

You are very welcome, good luck to you and thank you for the positive feedback

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian