Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Y my 11 year old female maltese is having occasional

Y my 11 year...

Y my 11 year old female maltese is having occasional siezures

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Luna 11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Luna?

Eleven

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?

Healthy eats well plays as usual has seizures as I am returning home usually she has three sisters all Maltese

3/16/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Luna and seizures. I'm so sorry she's doing this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Can you please tell me how frequent her seizures are? More than one a month?

Also, how long ago did she start having them?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Started about 3 mos ago with occasional seizures one in two weeks ,now one in two weeks to 10 days five in a month aproximately

Thank you for your quick reply.

(typing more)

The first thing I need to explain is to clarify that seizures are not a disease in and of themselves. They are just a symptom, like vomiting or appetite loss, and they can be caused by a variety of different things.

Some things are more common in older dogs than in younger dogs.

The next step for a dog Luna's age with seizures this frequently that only started a few months ago is a trip to the vet for some basic blood tests. These tests are done to rule in or out some of the more common causes of seizures.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I did taketo vet and blood work was perfect

And typically the vet can prescribe some medication that will decrease the frequency and severity of her seizures.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok ty

Good. That rules out liver, kidney, thyroid, and other potential causes of seizures.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
now what

Unfortunately, that means the most likely cause for her seizures is some type of problem within her brain itself. I know this is scary to consider, but it's possible she may have some type of mass growing that's affecting her brain.

These types of problems require a CT scan or MRI in order to find them. Oftentimes, pet owners don't do this step because they wouldn't pursue brain surgery for their pets. Instead they just try medications to try to decrease the frequency and severity of the seizures.

Did your vet discuss CT or MRI with you?

Without those, the only other next step is to simply try anti-seizure medications to see if they'll help, at least for a while.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’m not putting her througall those tests
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I need to go back to vet and get medication
Once seizure is over and she rests for a few minutes she is back to normal and she does not cry during seizure just has gasping kind ofbreath

That's a relief.

Yes, it's very reasonable to not put her through the type of imaging needed to see a brain tumor.

It's good to know she's still acting totally normal between seizures. I often tell people that their pet's seizures are harder on them than on the pet; the pet isn't there for it.

Yes, it's worthwhile to at least try antiseizure medication.

We typically feel it's worthwhile when seizures are occurring more than once a month. It can help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are side affects of the medication? She weighs in at a little less than four lbs

There are multiple choices of anti-seizure medications available. The potential side effects vary from drug to drug.

The majority of the time, however, an owner of a dog on anti-seizure medication doesn't notice anything beyond some mild lethargy, and even that tends to pass after a couple of weeks.

Let me get you an article that discusses all of this in more detail. One moment...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much

I hope that helps. I know this is a scary thing to go through.

Is there anything else I can help you with at this point? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what an upsetting problem this is.

And if that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Just checking in to ask how things are going for Luna. I've been thinking about everything you're going through. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian