Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Trying to see if I can give my dog a laxative to possibly…

Trying to see if I...
Trying to see if I can give my dog a laxative to possibly pass a sock.
3/16/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I 'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

It's not been my experience that laxatives will not be of much benefit in these situations. The stools may become looser but this doesn't mean that the sock will be produced, unfortunately.

I typically suggest that owners feed an additional meal or two with additional fiber (such as whole wheat bread). I also encourage increased activity/exercise both of which can help to increase transit time.

Depending on the size of the dog, most will pass socks with no problems although, of course, not all of them do. Transit time is about 12-24 hours although if the sock remains in the stomach for a while (which sometimes happens), then it may take longer to pass.

If your dog starts to vomit and/or doesn't want to eat and/or becomes lethargic, then a vet visit would be a good idea. Otherwise, this is a monitoring type of situation and hoping that it will eventually show up (either in the stools or by vomiting it back up).

I hope this helps, Deb

Thank you! My dog had surgery back in Nov because a sock was stuck in his intestine. Not sure if that is what is going on currently. I am assuming. My dog is an American Bulldog about 70 pounds. He did throw up this a.m. but no sock. He is stretching every once in awhile which is what he did when sock was stuck. He was also projectile vomiting and that is when I knew something was really wrong. He's eating some ice cubes. Could it be that he has just an upset stomach from something?

You're welcome.

Given his size, I'm surprised that he didn't pass the sock but as I mentioned, not all dogs will.

Just because he swallowed a sock last fall doesn't necessarily mean that his symptoms now are because he ate another one. Unfortunately, vomiting secondary to all sorts of underlying conditions can present the same way. Viral/bacterial infections, dietary indiscretion, IBD, systemic disease are all possible ...in addition to a foreign body, of course, which can cause the symptoms that you're seeing.

If he's also lethargic and has decreased interest in food, then I'd likely have him seen if you suspect he might have eaten something that he shouldn't, especially given his previous history. You could try giving him otc Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 15 mgs (which would be 1.5 of the 10 mg tablets) twice a day. I'm not certain if this drug will be strong enough if he's projectile vomiting and showing abdominal discomfort (the stretching that he's doing) but it might be worth a try.

Deb

Okay. Thank you. He isn't lethargic. He's been eating some grass. Not extremely interested in food but will eat the ice cubes I give him. I will keep an eye on him and see what happens within the next couple of hours. How long shall I wait before I take him to the vet? Thanks so much for your help.

Glad to hear that he doesn't sound critical.

I'd probably withhold food for 8-12 hour and give everything a chance to settle down. The ice cubes are a good idea and I'd continue giving him those. Try to prevent him from eating grass which potentially is just going to trigger more vomiting.

If he hasn't vomited, then I'd offer him a small amount of boiled, boneless, skinless chicken breast (or lean hamburg) and 20-minute boiled white rice but only a very small amount at one time. If he eats it, then offer him a small amount in an hour or so.

If he continues to vomit and/or doesn't want to eat and/or becomes lethargic, then I'd advise that you have him seen. But, for now, it sounds as if monitoring him makes sense. Deb

Sounds good. I appreciate all your help. Thank you again.

My pleasure; best of luck with him, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Take care, Deb