Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Breed - English Bulldog Age - 10 Sex - Female that has been…

Breed - English Bulldog Age -...
Breed - English Bulldog
Age - 10
Sex - Female that has been spayedWe have noticed are dog will wake up from sleeping and she is confused, walks into stuff, doesn't want to go downstairs. This last for about 5-10 minutes after she wakes up and goes away. She has been to vet 3 times in last week to have this looked at and they are stumped. Her blood work is good and she is eating, peeing and having bowel movements just fine. We got her when she was almost 5 and she has had these issues before. We get her treated for an ear infection and the symptoms go away. The first episodes was when she was 6ish. They aren't everyday and they go away as fast as they come on. She has had less then 10 of these episodes since we have had her. She is being treated for ear infection and the vet doesn't seem to worried about these episodes.
3/16/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question.​ I'm sorry to hear that your dog is showing signs of confusion. In an older dog with normal blood work and these signs, possible causes could be cognitive canine dysfunction (COD), which is basically senility like that experienced by some older people. There is a medication called Anipryl (selegiline) to treat this, so it would be worth trying.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's very odd when it happens it almost like she can't see as well during the time and is spaced out. But like I said I have had her checked 3x this week and blood work is good, heart rate is good her lungs sound great. She does have a bit of arthritis in her front shoulder but just like these episodes the limping stops after a couple of minutes. I have noticed these happen first thing in morning after being awoken when she is laying on her side.

I would ask your vet about the Anipryl treatment. She might also be losing her sight and/or vision and is feeling anxious because of those things. So I would also ask your vet whether they think an anti-anxiety medication might help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only thing that baffles me is that she is fine less then 20 minutes later. You just have to more less console her then she is great.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will ask about your recommendations.

That does sound like cognitive dysfunction to me.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I will talk to our vet. It's a very scary thing when it happens.. thanks.

I don't blame you for being scared. Those kinds of signs can be alarming. Good luck with her.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian