Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6 yr old labradoodle female that in the last few…

I have a 6...

I have a 6 yr old labradoodle female that in the last few months has been licking the floors/carpets/ped bed ALL the time. This is a new behavior and is strange. She has a bad habit of eating her poop unfortunately as well, but this has gone on for years, but in the last 4-5 months she has unbelievable burps that are terrible in smell. Now as gross as it is, she has in the past usually just farted and it stunk from this nasty eating poop habit, but now seems like all time high of belching too. She eats fines, drinks fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

My dogs name is ***** ***** other issue is in the last 6 months or so she's become very aggressive and attacked one of our other dogs (we have 3 total) over toys/treats, etc. And these two dogs have lived together for over 2 1/2 yrs now, with no issues until these attacks Miley has started.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Miley?

She was recently in the vet for physical and shots/boosters, etc. and we didn't discuss the licking thing as my husband and I didn't realize between our two schedules it was happening as much as it was.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Miley. I'm so sorry she's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You are not alone with this problem; you can rest assured this is not all that uncommon. Excessive licking of fabrics like this *can* just develop as an obsessive behavior, but it can also be a symptom of nausea. With Miley's other GI symptoms, I'd say it's likely nausea may be playing a role.

That being said, her recent aggression with your other dog could indicate a higher degree of stress in her life, which could trigger behavioral licking (and even GI symptoms).

This means it will require a thorough approach to pursue this problem.

I'll list some things you can try at home first...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** was telling me this is likely all connected in some way, as it's just not like her to be aggressive, even though she is dominant over the other two dogs for sure (she's the typical take charge one, etc).

To ease nausea and GI symptoms, the things you can try at home are to:

• administer a good, broad-spectrum dewormer like fenbendazole (available over-the-counter from online pet stores)
  • Start adding a high-quality GI support product with digestive enzymes and probiotics. Synacore is an example of a good one.

Right... I agree.

It would be really good if this all turned out to be some mild GI distress.

Oh! When it comes to deworming, it's important to do all the dogs at once.

I'll get you a link to a suitable product.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much, I appreciate the help. Should I add all the Synacore to all their diets/food?

I'd give it at least 4 weeks to see if doing these two things makes a difference.

Synacore is good for everyone; it won't hurt to add it to everyone's food, and you may be surprised at something improving with the other dogs, too.

I do hope this information helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you. So just to be clear, the GI de-worming doesn't have anything to do with heartworms, right? As all my dogs are on preventative Heartguard for that monthly.

It's also worth noting that when they've done science on this issue, they concluded GI issues are a more common cause of obsessive licking that behavioral issues.

That's encouragine.

*encouraging.

Correct. Panacur is different from your heartworm preventive and will address parasites the HWP does not get. It is also safe to use along with Panacur.

I'm glad you have a plan for moving forward.

Is there anything else I can help you with? I want to be as helpful as possible.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One other quick question, is the poop eating habit something that could be causing this GI stuff too? leading to the deworming?
Yes thank you, ***** ***** get this stuff ordered and fingers crossed she returns to her normal self:)

Yes, poop eating can contribute to exposure to GI parasites, BUT it's sort of a chicken and egg thing.

GI upset can also lead to increased poop eating.

I'll be hopeful things return to normal for you quickly, too.

Thanks again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay that makes sense...thank you! Have a good weekend!

You, too. Enjoy!

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian