Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can a 6 week old female puppy still develop social skills…

Can a 6 week old...
Can a 6 week old female puppy still develop social skills from an adult male 11 year old dog?
3/16/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ideally we like puppies to stay with their littermates and mom until 8 weeks of age to help with developing important social skills and get nurtured the way that they should. The 2 weeks between 6-8 weeks of age are very important in learning how to play, work out compromise, and develop a sense of self and personality as well as learning to read facial expressions and body language of other dogs. This helps determine and mold a puppy's lifelong social skills.

But I also realize that this goal isn't always possible.

The second best situation is to have the puppy live, or at least frequently socialize with an adult dog that is very well behaved, nurturing, and enjoys the company of other dogs to teach the puppy these important social skills. It does NOT matter whether the adult dog is male or female. It matters more that the adult dog is well socialized, patient and willing to take the puppy under its wing so to speak.

So if this old fellow is a sweet, well behaved pup that enjoys her company then she can benefit greatly from his teaching.

If he is NOT well behaved, or has no patience for her than this is much less likely to be helpful.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about No Name. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian