Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 15 lb. male shitzu who is flying with me. He is…

I have a 15...

I have a 15 lb. male shitzu who is flying with me. He is always anxious anyway. I have a 2015 prescription of acepromazine which says to give him 1/4 to 1/2 1 hr before flying. Is this too much?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He is flying with me next week in a doggy bag which I will be putting under my seat. He is otherwise a healthy anxious dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He does not hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Wally and he is 3 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wally?

No medical problems, just gets very nervous around lots of people he does not know and of strange noises.

3/16/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Wally and the ace promazine.

Please tell me what the mg strength is of your ace promazine tablets.

10 mg cut into quarters

While I await your reply, I'll let you know we would consider ace to be safe to use for an otherwise healthy, 3-year-old shih-tzu on on other medications. It is prescribed with a dosage range of 1/4 to 1mg per pound of body weight. That means a dose of 3mg is a good starting dose.

Or... yes, 1/4 of a 10mg tablet is a good dose to try at first. It's at the low end.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'd also advise experimenting with the ace before you travel.

Administer a quarter tablet at home, then wait an hour before doing anything, then take him for a ride or some other stimulating activity so you can evaluate the effect of the 1/4 tablet dose.

If the sedation seems like too much, you can wait a day or two then try again with a smaller dose.

Or, vice versa if the dose seems inadequate.

if the 1/4 dos does not work, may I give him an additional 1/4 dose.

Yes, you may. Upwards of a whole tablet would be the maximum dose you would want to work up to.

It's usually very helpful to try different doses at home before the actual day of travel.

Does this help to answer your question for now? I want to be as helpful as possible, and I hope your trip goes well.

I cannot get to a phone. please type me the response

Did you receive my responses that I typed in above?

cannot get to phone

Yes. I understand you cannot get to a phone. Are you able to read the responses I typed in above?

Are you still there?

thank you, ***** ***** answered my question

Oh, good. I was worried there was a problem with the system and you weren't able to see my answers.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian