Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My new puppy has a ravenous appetite, doesn't drink much.

Customer Question
My new puppy has...

My new puppy has a ravenous appetite, doesn't drink much. She has been having diarrhea and it is a bit mucus filled. On top of that her stomach and lower abdomen are swollen but she has lost weight everywhere else.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Daisy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?

She had blood in her stool once but didn't have any other symptoms of parvo

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/16/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your puppy is not feeling well. The most common cause of a ravenous appetite with weight loss, a bloated abdomen, and diarrhea in a puppy is intestinal parasites. I recommend getting the puppy in to the vet so they can check a stool sample for intestinal parasites. If she does have them, the treatment is very easy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Our local pet shop has a general worm treatment which treats the common worms that are found in dog feces even the ones you can't see like whipworms and hookworms would that be satisfactory?

It's worth a try. You might see worms in her stool a couple of days after giving it. If she still has diarrhea after a couple of days, I would get her to the vet because she might have a parasite that the over-the-counter medication does not treat.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian