Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old chihuahua that has really bad teeth he…

I have a 13...

I have a 13 year old chihuahua that has really bad teeth he has seen a vet a while back she said the only thing she could do was pull all his teeth this would probably lead to his death and would cost 500 dollars this is my therapy dog and now hes in pain and face is swelling on one side

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Little Bit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Chihuahua?

Some of his teeth have already fell out over the last year

3/16/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Little Bit. I don't see a reasonable alternative to having his teeth extracted. His swelling and pain indicate tooth root abscesses which won't resolve with conservative therapy (antibiotics) alone. It's important to recognize that the infection in his oral cavity can lead to his death. Careful anesthesia is available for a 13 year old and so age isn't a contraindication. If Little Bit's vet isn't comfortable providing this kind of care, please consider having another vet - perhaps a specialist veterinary dentist - attend to him. Please see here: https://www.avdc-dms.org/dms/list/diplomates-intro.cfm;jsessionid=6B3C075DE0AE885A44470B01B759B409.cfusion?CFID=1867967&CFTOKEN=f4a10312466c85b9-DD396F46-155D-021C-1208D2FE967272A3

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

is it possible to give him over the counter for pain ?if so what can I give and how much for a 9 lb.dog I have called and dont have a fraction of the money they want to take care of him.

I understand. Yes, as for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. h You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?