Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog lost a tooth and it bleed quite a bit. Under his eye…

Hi my dog lost...

Hi my dog lost a tooth and it bleed quite a bit. Under his eye is quiet puffy and sore could this be because of the tooth?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** is 10. He is a pom shelty mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rusty?

I have only had him for a year he was a rescue

3/16/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Rusty lost a tooth and it is puffy under the eye on the same side. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Can you please tell me what tooth is missing - is it one in the back or one in the front (i.e. in front of a canine tooth or behind it)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tooth he is missing looks like an eye tooth, its pointy. It looks as though it is a dead tooth . As well there was not much root or anything . It is hard for me to tell as he snaps when I try to look in his mouth. This worries me that he is in pain because he never snaps and is usually very easy to handle and touch.

Thank you. I am confused about the meaning of an "eye tooth." Are you able to tell if it only has 1 root? If you would like to take a picture of it, you can attach a picture here by clicking on the paperclip icon on the toolbar. If you are not able to do that, then I can still go off your description. It sounds like this swelling could very well be associated with this tooth.

Swelling below the eye is commonly caused by a tooth root abscess. If you are not able to observe much of a root of the tooth then it is possible the tooth was fractured and the root remains intact in the mouth. The bleeding would indicate there is likely an infection with either the tooth you are seeing or other teeth in the mouth. Therefore, a dental procedure would be in order so that the remainder of the tooth root can be removed and antibiotics can be given. You will want to go to a veterinarian that has the capability of performing dental x-rays to make sure all the root has been removed.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does thank you . I believe thats what it is he has all the signs of it being an abcess. What I meant by eye tooth was his canine, sorry for the wrong use. Thanks for your help I will be off to the vet.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possible that it will heal on its own or I should definetly go to the vet to be sure?

If there is swelling under the eye then you will want that treated with antibiotics. You will also want to know for sure that this is related to an abscess and not something else in the bone itself. A canine tooth abscess would unlikely cause the swelling, but you may have a tooth root abscess of a back molar or premolar tooth. That is usually where the issue is located. If Rusty is unwilling to have you look because of pain then I would expect the problem to be back there as well. The canine tooth falling out is likely just a sign of an overall decaying set of teeth. Be prepared for multiple teeth being recommended to take out from your veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian