Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog ate rar poisoning. Induced vomiting within minutes of…

Customer Question
Dog ate rar poisoning...

Dog ate rar poisoning. Induced vomiting within minutes of eating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

I gave him activated charcoal last night. Should I give anymore? Was going to start him this morning on K100.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is only 19 lbs. I have k1 to give but the mg is 525 for two pills. I don’t know how many pills to give and how often for how long. Thank you for any info you can give. Mel

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He ate rat poison. When he vomited, there was undesolved pellets.
I gave him 2 capsules opened and powder only of acrvates charcoal.
This was last night, as soon as I saw him eat it.
I also have K100 capsules that are 100mcg per tablet. Should I give this. If so, how much for how long?
3/16/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- What is the name of the poison or active ingredient?

2- Do you feel comfortable in saying that he vomited all of the pellets?

Ramik
Diphacinone
He vomited up the chewed up pellets and ended up with nothing coming up but foam. I do think most of the poison was vomited up.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, if you feel that he vomited all of the pellets then he should be fine and the vitamin K1 is not necessary. However, if you are not certain of the amounts of pellets he had consumed you can start vitamin k1 as a precaution. The dose for a 19 lbs dog is between 12 and 20mg every 12 hours with food for 3 weeks. So, if the Vitamin K1 you have is 525mg and 100mcg both options are going to be difficult to give him the dose. I would pick up in your pharmacy a mg closer to 15mg. Or, you can have your vet check his coagulation time in 48-72 hours to see if he needs the vitamin k1.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

The charcoal is 520mg.
The K1 is 100mcg.
I will check for mg closer to 15mg.

Friend, it is almost impossible to give 15mg with 100mcg tablets. If the K1 is 100mcg you would need to give 15 pills to get 15mg. You need to get a prescription from your vet to get Vitamin K1 of a greater concentration, you will not find them over the counter, I am sorry.