Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 1 years old Australian Shepherd /lab mix. He has…

Customer Question
Hello my dog is a...
Hello my dog is a 1 years old Australian Shepherd /lab mix. He has a dry cough that started last night. Sometimes the cough is so bad he ends up vomiting white/clear slime. He's coughing and gagging about every 15-30min and it's worst at night. He was exposed to another foster dog who had kennel cough about 1 week ago. Could this be kennel cough or something more serious?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, he constantly has a lot of saliva . His cough seems to happen more when he's laying down to sleep. It's starts off as a light cough then progresses Into a severe cough.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

The coughing is most likely due to kennel cough giving the timeframe, signs, and history of the other dog with kennel cough.

Generally when it is this bad, we will start them on antibiotics (usually doxycycline) and cough suppressants (generally hydrocodone or butorphanol).

I definitely recommend a vet visit today to have them do a full exam and make sure this is not something more like pneumonia. They may want to take x-rays of the chest depending on what they find during physical exam, but most likely there will just be some antibiotics and cough suppressants to go home.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian