Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6 # Chihuahua has pain on palpation under right front leg…

Customer Question
My 6 # Chihuahua...

My 6 # Chihuahua has pain on palpation under right front leg and right side. I noticed she screamed when picked up. She has a limp and doesn't want to walk. She does want to eat. She is a very sweet dog but tried to bite me when side touched. She does jump off of the chairs and high bed. I just gave her 81 mg ASA. Help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Daisy 7 1/2 yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?

This is the first time for this. She doesn't want to move.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Above should say daisy does Not want to eat.
3/16/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 1 month ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up earlier.

How is Daisy feeling this morning?

Is she walking any slower and is there any arch to the back?

Will she turn her head from side to side to look at you when you call her?

Did the aspirin seem to help her a bit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She screams when Right front leg and side are touched. Would not let me pick her up but jumped off of the bed and walked to the door to go out. She was limping but placing wt. on her leg. She was able to go up and down 3 steps to the outside. Seems alert.I stayed up with most of the night and she did sleep on that side, but screamed when even the blanket touched her .There is no arching of the back and able to follow and turn her head from side to side. No pain when her back is touched, just right side. Unable to tell if ASA helped. Not eating but cooking chicken for her.

Thank you for that information. One thing comes to mind when it comes to the front legs and side and that would be a disc issue affecting the neck which would affect the front legs.

Another problem with the front leg could be a loose knee cap which is extremely painful as well.

At this point it is vital to have her checked out with a physical exam. Anti inflamatory drugs or pain meds may be needed.

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant