Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My rescued Chihuahua is just back from a full dental

cleaning and a procedure whereby...
My rescued Chihuahua is just back from a full dental cleaning and a procedure whereby a steroid was injected into the white of a uveitis eye. As a rescue, likely off the streets and with no manners, he bites when something unwanted is near his mouth. Last night he bit me as hard as Ive ever been bitten, breaking the shin and causing minor bleeding. Given the above, two oral meds were sent home and each to be given 3x/day. If you know of a YouTube (or other) video on administering oral meds, please send to me.
Also, I'm concerned after reading online re: Butorphanol Tartrate. It was sent home with Barney for oral use where everything Ive read refers to it being and injectable. You okay with oral, 0.7 ml, 2x/day for a 9 lb. Chihuahua?
3/16/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you got bitten, and are concerned about your Chihuahua. I just came online and saw your questions; I am sorry you have been waiting for an answer.

I am sorry you were bitten. If he bites when anything is near his mouth, then the only safe way to get his medication into him is to hide it in some food that he likes such as cheese, peanut butter, or liverwurst. You could try the Pill Pockets, tasty soft treats with a hole to hide a pill in, to get him to take it.

Buprenorphine is not well absorbed by mouth in dogs. It is fairly well absorbed "transmucousally", across a "mucus membrane" such as his gums. When I send buprenorphine for a dog, I recommend applying it to the inside of the cheek, not given to swallow. You may not be able to do this with him; I don't want you to be bitten again.

Please let me know when you see my answer and if you have other questions.

With pills its easy. However, both meds sent home are oral. One is Clindacure. The other Butorohanol.
Sorry, Butorphanol

Then I would request pills from your veterinarian. Clindacure (clindamycin), does come in capsule form.

Butorphanol also does come as a pill, and is well absorbed by mouth. Sorry, I though you asked about buprenorphine. Or you could ask about tramadol for pain, and that is also a pill.

No problem on the Rx. I have NO CLUE how you keep them all straight!

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have other questions. Just do not get bitten again! I hope your bites are not infected.

I agree! It's amazing how hard a 9 pound dog can bite! I bathed the (small) wound in HO so I should be good. Thank you for the pill recommendation. I will follow up with my Vet.

I think the little ones bite worse than the big ones!

You are welcome; please let me know how he and your are doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!