Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was playing with a stick. He injured mouth or

My dog was playing...

My dog was playing with a stick. He injured mouth or throat.. he coughed up pieces of wood and blood. It not bleeding but he still acting like something in his throat. He can breathe but doesn’t want to eat or drink. He up and moving around and wagging his tail. I think he might have just cut it? Should I give it some more time?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

A little at first but not anymore

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Kota 6yr

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Poor Kota. Sometimes injuries in the mouth can result in pieces of the foreign material being lodged in there. However, serious complications arising from a foreign body being lodged in the throat typically cause some kind of breathing issue with the pet. So it is a good sign that he is not having any trouble breathing at this point.

What behavior is he displaying exactly that makes you think he still has something stuck in his throat? Is he gagging? Pawing at his face? etc?

- Dr. H

He keep trying to hack something up and nothing is coming out. I’ve looked in his mouth and can’t find anything
His not pawing at his face

Ok. So it is likely not in his mouth area. He may have injuries towards the back of his throat. Especially since you saw blood. Is he doing this hacking frequently? How many times in 1 hr would you say he is hacking? Does he seem be in distress?

- Dr. H

He seem uncomfortable. He’s hacking when he moves but when he’s laying down he fine. Could it just be a cut? He doesn’t want water or food. He looks like he wants to but uncomfortable to do so.

I think in this situation it is worth while getting a vet to look at him. He shouldn't be uncomfortable to the point where he can't relax. If his breathing is fine, then you may be ok to wait until morning to take him in for a proper exam. But if you notice any more bleeding or severe lethargy, then he needs to go in right away. The main concern with a stick injury to the throat is bleeding, pieces being lodged somewhere or injuries to the esophagus or windpipe.

- Dr. H

So far it doesn't sound like he has any injuries to his windpipe. But he may have injuried his esophagus. Poor guy. I hope that he recovers well.

- Dr. H

Thank you... I’ll keep an eye on him tonight if not better tomorrow I’ll take him in.

You are most welcome for the advice. I hope that Kota makes a full recovery soon. Best of luck to you and take care.

*Please don't leave without leaving me a quick rating on this page. THis is how I am credited with assisting you and your pet tonight. Thank you so much for your feedback and take care!*

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet