Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 12 week old husky that just developed diarrhea,

We have a 12...

We have a 12 week old husky that just developed diarrhea, has vomited a couple times, and seems to be shaking a bit as he sleeps. Is this an urgent care situation?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not that I can think of.

3/16/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Poor puppy. It sounds like he is very uncomfortable. I have a few more questions to ask you to determine if this is worthy of an ER visit or if you are likely ok to wait unitl morning to take him in to your vet.

1) First off what is his name?

2) What color are his gums?

3) Does he respond to you when called?

4 Is he having a hard time walking as if his neurological system has been affected? Typically this causes pets to walk as if they are drunk.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His name is*****'ll have to go check his gums, and get back to you in a minute. He doesn't seem impaired, but he also doesnt seem quite himself. I'll be right back

Ok. I will await your response. They normally should be a salmon pink color and not white.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They arent white, but they are pigmented sort of randomly. from dark purple in spots, to pink in others.
He is not interested in coming when called, and seems lethargic. wants to lie down.

Oh no. Lethargy is not a good sign in a puppy. : (

Has he been fully vaccinated yet? Usually pups at this age should have received about 3 sets of vaccines by now.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is up to date, but has an appointment tomorrow for whatever he needs at 12 weeks.

How many sets of vaccines would you say he's had so far?
Also has he been outside or around any area where other dogs have been in the last 10-14 days?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't say what set he's had, other than when we got him at 8 weeks, we immediately took him to our vet, where they reviewed his history, and scheduled tomorrows appointment. He does go outside at our house, and has a 2yo Terrier/Border Collie "sister"

Ok. So it sounds like he hasn't been fully vaccinated as of yet. Typically pets aren't fully vaccinated until they are around 14-16 weeks of age in most cases. I am worried that your puppy may have picked up a virus from the ground outside. Parvovirus can live in the soil for many years and can infect puppies who aren't fully vaccinated. Large breed puppies are particularly susceptible to parvovirus. It causes lethargy, decreased appetite, vomiting and diarrhea +/- blood.

This sounds urgent, so I would encourage you to take Oliver to the vet as soon as possible to get tested and treated. The main concern here is the fact that he is lethargic and his whole body system has been affected. Poor guy. There are other possible causes of his illness including dietary indicretion (eating something he shouldn't have), foreign body obstruction or a severe bacterial infection. But my top suspicion here is a parvovirus infection.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would that be an urgent care issue? Could this be from eating a rat poison block? I ask that because we had a pet years ago who did, but recovered after treatment. It *might* be possible that this little dog found a piece hidden somewhere that the bigger dogs can't reach
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would our 40lb 2yo dog be resistant to parvo?

Rat poison usually almost always causes bleeding; however, the bleeding can be delayed.

Yes any toxin ingestion can cause similar symptoms to parovirus. GI symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy are shared by many different illnesses, but considering your pets age and history, parvovirus is my top suspicion here and should be the first thing your vet checks for.

This does sound like an urgent issue and should be dealt with as soon as possible. If you cannot take him in tonight, then as early as possible in the morning.

Your 2 year old dog should be ok, but only if he is fully vaccinated. An older dog is not as susceptible to parvovirus, but there have been many documented cases of adult dogs who are not fully vaccinated, getting parvovirus. It is HIGHLY contagious.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thank you. We'll go to urgent care tonight

I hope that Oliver is able to make a fully recovery. Poor puppy. : ( Best wishes at the vet!

- Dr. H

Please feel free to update me on his status after your visit. I would like to know how Oliver is doing. You can just save this url address and hit reply with no additional fees or anything. Best of luck and take care.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Parvo test came back negative. He is in urgent care, getting IVs and bloodwork. The thing that bothers me, which I was only told as I was out the door, is that he is being held in isolation, just in case the parvo test was a false negative, and this could go for days. What is the false negative rate for a parvo test?

Hello and thanks for the update. Unfortunately I don't have that information for you as far as exact statistics. But it is not common for a parvo test to be falsely negative. It only happens on rare occurences.

However, you should see elevated white blood cell count (WBC's) and a neutrophilia (elevated neutrophils) with a fever in cases of parvovirus.

I hope that he gets well soon. Best of luck to you!

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet