Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 bosten terriers around 11 ish yrs of age.they

Customer Question
I have 2 bosten...

I have 2 bosten terriers around 11 ish yrs of age.they stopped eating their reg.food dry. changed to alpo canned they stopped after 3 mo. or so on that.. got them dry blue dog food. but will eat some treats. ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

One is Charlie the other is chester they are brothers 11 years old brothers are doing the same thing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Charley has congestive heart falier and is on meds. looking good runs ,plays chester has back prob. on med . but they were both eating.with the prob.they have.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/16/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed.

Have either of the boys ever been picky eaters?

When did they last have bloodwork performed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, but we have lost 2 earlier this year 1 from sesuers the other from kidney failier .real concerned for these 2.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
blood work about 3 mo.ago.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
don.'t have the extra money at this time or i would call
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how long should i sit here and wait for you to respond ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what if i don't pay the 28.00 ur not going to help me..

Good evening, Glenn. When an expert reaches out to help you, your questions and comments will reach them specifically anytime you reply. Logically and since we're human, we aren't signed on 24-7. When you replied, I was signed off which is why you did not receive an immediate response. I am signed on now and will be for a short while longer this evening. The website sends prompts through for calls if it's easier on the customer. There was no response to your questions because I was not here to respond. To answer your last question, yes, you'll receive my help even without paying the additional $28 for a phone call--but I have to be signed on to do so.

So, back to your boys:

Did your vet note any abnormalities on bloodwork when it was run?

How long ago did the pickiness begin?

Have there been any rapid changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand which might have caused them to feel unwell? Any new treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No to all the questions.

You mentioned that they stopped eating their regular food about 3 months in. How long ago did the pickiness begin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is something new it's been going on for 8 day's or so. they were on purina one stopped. then alpo canned for 6 weeks or so then a stop to that. now trying blue dry. no luck so for they turn up their nose at every thing but human foods an some of that. we only feed them beef or chicken.. and just enough to keep them hungry..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry just in a rush ..

Feeding them chicken or beef may be playing a role in them refusing the other foods. It's very easy for us to train a dog in to realizing that if they avoid their commercial food that we will feed them high-rise human foods. Have you tried anything home-cooked thus far aside from the beef/chicken?

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no. and we just fed them the beef/ chicken after they didn't eat for 2 days and we had to use something to take their meds with.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
don't know if my comments sent. we only feed them very little of the chicken or beef mainly use it to give meds. want to keep them hungry so they will eat their food.but after not eating for 2 days, we have to feed them a little.

If they're willing to eat the chicken or beef, you can use this to your advantage. I would strongly recommend that you have them examined by your vet to be certain there is no other underlying concern causing them to feel unwell and avoid foods.

At home, you can use the chicken or beef to make a bland diet for them. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast (or low fat ground beef, drained) and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

You can also visit with the nutritionists at http://www.balanceit.com to formulate a diet that you can make from home that is nutritionally sound. Many options exist for protein and carbohydrate options which you can switch around if they persist on being picky. Some examples would be: salmon and green peas, chicken and pureed pumpkin, sweet potato and duck, quinea and turkey etc.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How are Charlie and Chester doing today? Did you have any additional questions regarding their food?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse